No one wants a bad smelling house yet sometimes we can’t help it. When your house smells bad, there are obvious reasons why that happens and it’s easy to find out. Things like leftover food that have gotten bad or damp clothes are easy to find and fix, but there are other reasons that your house can smell bad and some of these reasons might be hazardous to your health.
Here are the six reason why your house might smell bad and what you can do to fix it so you stay safe.
Electrical problems can be dangerous and even life threatening and must be taken care of immediately. If you notice an unusual urine or fishy smell, inspect all your electrical outlets. Burning or melting wires and electrical parts can smell like fish or urine and this most times, come from nowhere. Don’t try to fix things yourself but you can certainly unplug an electrical gadget that is plugged to a malfunctioning outlet if it’s safe to do so without hurting yourself. Electrical problems can be extremely dangerous so we recommend that this is handled by a professional
If you find a malfunctioning electric outlet, do this:
- Unplug what you can if it seems safe to do so, if not don’t touch it
- Contact a professional electrician as it’s dangerous to handle electrical problems on your own
- Have the electrician change faulty wires or electrical components
Carpets can get old and smelly with lots of use. Carpets are the one thing that is overused in our homes as we step on it so many times, spill things on it, and other things. If you notice a musty smell that just won’t go away, it might be that your carpet needs some cleaning. Sometimes, it’s visibly dirty and you can tell, but sometimes, especially if the carpet is darker color, you might not notice. But nonetheless, cleaning your carpet every few months is a great idea.
If you notice your carpet is smelling, do this:
- Rent a steam carpet cleaner or call a professional to do it for you
- Sprinkle some baking soda and vacuum the carpet
- If you want, leave the baking soda on the carpet for about 24 hours to soak up all the smell before you vacuum
Mold is dangerous. Most times you can smell the mold but finding the source of the mold can sometimes be hard if there’s no obvious wet place that you can see. Most moldy smells in our homes are from damp walls but sometimes it’s hard to get to the source of the mold. Some other reasons why you might have mold include a leaking plumbing, or gutter issues. Also, when you don’t have good ventilation in places where you use a lot of water like the bathroom and kitchen, you might also have hidden mold.
If you do find mold, do this:
- If the mold is on large surface, call a professional to safely remove the mold without spreading the spores in your house
- If the mold is on just a small surface, wipe it with vinegar or specially made products for mold. Soap and warm water can also work.
- Prevent the mold from returning by ensuring you have good ventilation and have better control of humidity in the area affected as high humidity causes molding.
We don’t think about it but the walls of our houses can smell too. When you cook, the smell of the food can become residues on the wall and over time, this can cause the wall to smell. Also, any bad smell for other reasons in your house can also linger on your wall and never go away. This can also happen to the ceiling as well. So, if your entire house smells funny and you can’t figure out why, try cleaning your walls.
If your wall smells, do this:
- Clean the wall with ammonia mixed in warm water and cloth
- Spray the wall lightly with vinegar mixed with warm water, and wipe dry
- Give your walls a fresh coat of paint
Our dishwashers go through a lot of use and abuse and can become easily smelly. Sometime this is due to food residues that might have been left over or just the fact that it’s not draining right. You should clean your dishwasher once in while especially since it’s used very often for washing plates that you use for feeding. So, if your kitchen smells funny and you can’t tell where that is coming from, your dishwater could be the culprit
If you find dirt in your dishwasher, here is what you can do:
- Remove all the dishes in the dishwasher
- Add some vinegar and baking soda at the bottom of the dishwasher to soak up the smell
- Run the dishwasher empty
- If you can, locate the dishwater filter and clean it
- Clean the inner seal of the dishwater with vinegar and baking soda
This is something that is a little too common when you sometimes turn on your stove but that is normal. What is not normal is the smell of gas when you’re not cooking, or even excessive gas smell when you’re cooking. This could mean a gas leak and leaking gas is a very serious situation. Gas leaks smell like rotten eggs and should be taken care of immediately.
If you smell leaking gas, do this:
- Turn off gas meter if possible
- Do not ignite any light, do not turn on any lights, do not turn on any appliances
- Leave your house immediately
- Let you neighbors know for their own safety
- Contact your gas company immediately
- Once this is fixed, ventilate your house by opening all doors and windows to let the gas smell dissipate